/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Hospitality

Yesterday morning I spent some time dealing with a bit of conflict between one of the Grace House residents and a volunteer, who was asking her to leave. This was an issue that I walked into on Tuesday, and which continues over into today. No, we're not done yet, but it's getting better; and I have hopes of a godly resolution to the situation.

Then last evening, I went up to campus for a bit, to join those still "on the block" for the summer in bidding farewell to some dear friends, as they leave the wonderful world of seminary. They were still packing, and a bit frazzled that it was not done, seeing as how they need to leave first thing this morning. The group of us gathered at the party solved the problem by promising to finish boxing up what was left over the weekend (the moving truck won't be here for a few days yet). So then we all trooped downstairs to graze on munchies, pop and beer, and to relax in good company for an hour or two.

Being both in the same day, I can't help but lay these two events next to one another. And it seems to me that they both boil down to questions of hospitality.

How do we, as Christians, behave toward those whose lives we touch? Welcoming the stranger, and honoring the brother or sister, are two sides of the same coin.

How do we care for one another? Paul gives us a tidy list of instructions; but like many biblical injunctions, they're easier to say than to do. This is both the joy and the challenge of living a disciple's life.

And how do we allow others to care for us? Sometimes, that last question can be the hardest one to answer.

Brother, sister, let me serve you
let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
to let you be my servant, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I think God's been trying all along to show us how to live right. Paul's list is in there. The items on the list seem simple, but they're darn difficult. I know I have a heck of a time with them.

But allowing someone to care for us - that's something I really hadn't thought of before. Of course, I want someone to care for me, but that's certainly centered on "me", and not "them" or "God."

It was very interesting to watch someone who received an offer of "care" hesitate for a minute. I don't know how I would have handled the same situation.

BTW, I haven't been commenting on your sermons much because they get my mind going, and by the time I think of what to write, it seems a bit passé. I may go back and post anyway. You can be sure that I'm reading every word, and they always make me think.

July 02, 2004 7:59 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

By the way, your archive page isn't being updated, and it's kind of difficult to get to your past posts.

Thought you'd want to know.

July 03, 2004 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home