/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Too much like work.

As I mentioned in the last post, Monday was Yard Work Day. Bush trimming, and weed pulling, and ivy taming.

Yesterday was my day at St. Mary's. I did have one early morning appointment, to talk about the mission with the pastor at a local church, so I was in Seminary Intern Clothes-- dress slacks and a nice top. When I got done chatting with Pastor Nate, however, I went back to Grace House, and got my jeans and t-shirt out of the trunk.

It was Spring Cleaning Day in Monticello.

We (a couple parishioners, the residents, and yours truly) swept off the back porch and driveway; scrubbed the front porch top to bottom (siding, windows, overhang and all); cleaned, primed and painted the wicker furniture; repaired and painted the screen door... I don't remember the whole list, but we were diligent.

Then we got out some tall ladders, and a few of us clambered up to harvest some of the glorious crop of cherries from the tree on the south side of the house. One of the residents-- a 14-year-old bookworm named Haley-- helped me make a cobbler out of some of them, and we distributed the rest between the laborers.

Today I was home, and oversaw Yard Work Day II: a reprise of Monday, except we moved to the back yard.

You know what? This evening I am one tired puppy, and achy in some unusual places.

Now I understand why they make you get a physical before they send you to seminary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Too much LIKE work? Yardwork IS work.

Physical? I'm beginning to wonder about your psych eval. :P

June 24, 2004 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home