/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, June 21, 2004

Power tools are our friends

Today was originally designated Yard Work Day. I had visions of putting a major dent in the weedy, overgrown mess that comprises the planter beds around our house. They have been really neglected, and it shows-- serious evidence that, between work and school, we've been overcommitted around here. I had even warned the kids that their assistance would be expected, and not optional. I was looking forward to several hours spent in weeding, dragging out dead leaves, taking piles to the burn pit, etc.

Then I woke up this morning, to the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops on my window. Oh, peachy. There goes the day. I don't mind getting a little damp, but playing with an electric hedge trimmer (and it is play-- I like my hedge trimmer) in the rain is a bit riskier than I care for.

Fortunately, the rain let up. It's been off and on, stop and go all day, but we've had two or three extended dry spells. So I was able, in stages, to get at least some work done. I gave the front evergreens a desperately needed haircut, and trimmed up some rangy, mangy-looking things in between. Hacked back to a shadow of its former self this bush that was nearly blocking the sidewalk to the front door. Cleaned out the dead stuff from the climbing roses on the side of the garage (with the rain, dusting them will have to wait for another day).

I still need to trim up the bushes in the back yard, and to do a lot of digging of weeds, and cutting back and rearranging of various ivys (ivies?) and ground covers. And I discovered that one of the burning bushes on the south side of the house has given up the ghost, and will need to be rooted out-- not a fun task, as the thing was really big. So there's plenty left to do, if the weather permits, later in the week.

But at least this no longer looks like an abandoned house.

You bet I had the kids helping. Carolyn (and her friend Nicki) were even out in a downpour at one point, picking up the bush trimmings to cart out back. I had told her earlier that they could go to the mall when they were done, but then they procrastinated until the rain started (possibly hoping Mom would cave, and let them go without the work being done? Nope. No such luck.)

And so there they were, trotting around in the rain, gathering up the piles of weeds and sticks and trimmings that I had left behind. Now, lest you think they were being abused, Mean Ol' Mom did have towels and hot chocolate waiting for their sodden selves when they came sloshing into the house. And, after they put on dry clothes, they did get to go to the mall.

Wednesday, the back yard. Hope the weather's clear then.

4 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Yahoo...Garden Day!

I wish I could have helped. Did you plant anything new?

June 22, 2004 10:19 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

I wish you had been here, too-- though I'd have been a bit embarrassed by the state it was in.

And no, we didn't plant anything new, this time; it was simply an exercise in cleaning up and clearing out. Lots done, lots more to do. (^_^)

June 22, 2004 8:53 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Power tools are our friendsSo are grounding plugs. Zzzzzt!

I have discovered over the years that I despise weeding. Mowing, pruning, planting, trimming, are fine. I'd just as soon use Round-Up on weeds, even though it's probably horrible stuff.

Back home, our neighbor planted ivy on their side of the fence. It grows under the fence and through our escallonia, which makes it darn near impossible to remove. Grumble.

Just not much of a gardener, I guess, and certainly not a country boy.

June 22, 2004 9:28 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Peachy.I LOVE THIS WORD! I never use it, but I love it when someone else uses it. It has just the right feel.

June 29, 2004 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home