/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, April 25, 2003

Swingin' at St. Luke's


The thurible, that is. Under the tutelage of Paul, thurifer extrordinaire, a group of Seaburians trooped out last night to learn how to handle incense, Anglican style.

I am not, by and large, particularly fond of incense; it sends my soprano voice right into the tenor range, and some varieties make it hard to breathe. However, it was a skill I wanted to know, in case I ever find myself in a parish that is fond of it. There was also a certain satisfaction in this, as it was one of those things I'd never done before-- was not permitted to, actually. I was an acolyte as a teen, but that was in a time and place where roles for women and girls were more limited. I could be an acolyte back then, but not crucifer or thurifer.

This was great fun. We smoked up the place with two different thuribles; learning how much the tools make a difference. The brass one was pretty, but heavy; I could feel it in my triceps when I was done. The silver one was lighter, but made me laugh to look at; its modern portrayal of a Jesus figure on top looked like nothing so much as the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.

I don't know how much I'll actually use this, but it was good to try. And Paul sent us home with a multi-page handout of technique and useful advice, to boot. A good evening.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home