/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Growing up... in stages

The Boy had his first basketball practice last evening. He didn't say so, but his behavior indicated clearly that he was nervous. Very nervous. You could almost hear the voices in his head. "I'm not going to fit in." "I'm going to suck at this." "They'll never let me play." Being the kind and sensitive Mom that I am, I flatly ignored it-- just sent him on over to school, signed forms in hand.

This is not as callous as it sounds. If I'd tried to be sympathetic, asking what was wrong and all, I'd have gotten flat denials and just ticked him off. Our older child needs the verbal support, but this one usually works best if you give him his space.

Of course, practice went fine. He worked hard, and did well enough at the drills ("I was the fourth one to finish the relay thing") that even the young self-deprecating pessimist realized that he will be able to keep up.

After he got home, he got something to eat, and then-- voluntarily, mind you-- cleaned up the kitchen and took a shower. And further, he came out afterward with an armload of clothing. "Can I run a load of laundry?"

No, really. He cleaned. And wanted to do more. Asked permission, even. I have witnesses! Doing chores without being asked, and hygiene without nagging... perhaps The Boy is really growing up.

"Sure, honey. Your sister has a load in the washer, so just put it in the dryer and you're good to go."

So he trots off to the laundry. From the next room, I hear rustling about... and then suddenly the washer lid slams, and he comes bursting back. "Oh, yuck! GROSS!! Oh, I am SO not touching that!!!"

Turns out that the washer was full of his sister's unmentionables.

At his pointed request, she came down and removed the offending articles to the dryer so that he could run his load-- and listened patiently while he told her that "you better come get them when they're dry, because I'm not messing with that stuff."

All right, so perhaps he's not all that grown up after all.

On the other hand, I cannot say that I'm displeased at my 13-year-old being unwilling to touch girl's underwear. Yes... I think I'm really okay with that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

This is LOL funny!

January 09, 2008 9:33 AM  

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

and being the mother of a manchild is SO much fun. I found when I got up this morning that mine had (well after midnight, obviously) gathered and curbed ALL the garbage and the recyclables...happy days!

January 10, 2008 9:56 AM  

Blogger The Lovely Wife said...

Cece and I loved the story and Cece says "Kyles insane"

January 13, 2008 9:55 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a 14 y.o. boy and agree with your sentiments whole-heartedly. 8-) (Now if ours could catch your sons volunteer spirit on his laundry....)

January 16, 2008 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home