/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Surely not in Indiana... Right?

I am usually proud of having been raised in the Hoosier state. Not today.

Today I learned of this horror over at Ragamuffin Ramblings. Considering that this happened over two months ago, I was surprised that I had not heard anything of the case before now. One would expect that in an age of nearly instant communication a story like that might even garner some national attention, enough that word would filter this far west. And if not, I do still link to local papers back there, and try to keep up with goings on in the heartland. So where has the news been?

I did some back checking-- to find the small, twice-weekly county paper providing some information, and the larger city papers, none at all. What gives?? It's not like the Indy Star and the Louisville Courier-Journal don't cover the area-- they provided extensive coverage, for example, of a little girl from the same small town who was abducted and murdered a while back. Doing a search on the town in their archives turns up any number of articles about sports and other news items. So, why is there absolutely no coverage of such a gruesome crime on any wider level?

Any suppositions I might have in that regard would undoubtedly reflect my cynical human nature-- but I do think it's a good question.

Others wondering the same thing include the Bloomington Alternative and former Star reporter Ruth Holladay. Maybe if enough folks ask, there will be some answers.

Lord, have mercy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve F. said...

Thanks for posting this, sister. I think that the more people who hear, the more people will at least recognize what's going on. And thanks for reading!

June 25, 2007 6:22 AM  

Blogger Jules said...

As a fellow Hoosier, this makes me sick. Unfortunately, as someone who grew up about 30 miles from Crothersville, I can say that I am not surprised by the attitudes. That makes me sick, too.

June 25, 2007 12:38 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.covenantnews.com/dirkhising.htm
This bashing and murder of a gay man should certainly have received greater attention. Howerver so should the death of Jessie Dirkhising, the 13 year old boy abducted, raped and murdered by two gay men, and completely ignored by a press that was still in arms about mathew shepard.

Me, I have long given up on the "mainstream media" as being useless and biased. I get my information from local papers linked around the world, and my commentary from blogs.

June 26, 2007 8:12 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Steve: You're welcome. I don't comment often, but I read regularly, and I'm glad you stopped by.

Cheesehead: my husband also grew up in that part of the world (a bit further south, near the Old Capitol), and played baseball in that area as a teen. Sadly, his lack of surprise mirrored your own.

Shari: Equally horrific, yes, and equally wrong. I do note one hopeful thing in the link you cite: that statewide news coverage and eventually wider attention (AP, US News, etc) was garnered, after sufficient pressure was applied. I would hope the same becomes true in this case.

June 26, 2007 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home