/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Are you sure you called the right number?

There are a few phone conversation phrases that are just inherently unnerving. They are not obviously good ("It's a boy/girl!") or bad ("There's been an accident."), but could go either way, depending on what follows.

  • "This is your child's principal (or school nurse)."
  • "Your test results are in."
  • "The Bishop and I have been discussing you."
Then you hold your breath, and wait for the other shoe to drop.

I heard the latter yesterday, and I'm still a bit... nonplussed. As the conversation went on, I learned that our bishop does not care to have his candidates for ordination take the GOE's, but prefers instead to have them take canonical exams, administered locally. I learned that those who do the testing here include both lay and ordained persons, each with overlapping areas of responsibility. I learned the exams include both oral and written portions.

I learned these things, because it seems that I am now the newest member of our diocesan Board of Examining Chaplains, specifically responsible for designing and evaluating examinations in the areas of Scripture (especially New Testament) and Church History.

AKMA, you are so going to be hearing from me!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a grader for Ords. It was actually kind of fun. I didn't have to write the questions, though@

August 26, 2006 8:26 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Premillenial dispensationalism!

August 27, 2006 12:38 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Dawgdays: Um... no. Not even once.

Does your wife know you're out talking like that? ;-)

August 27, 2006 7:18 AM  

Blogger AKMA said...

Well, the first thing, of course, will be to buy five or six books on postmodern biblical interpretation. I think that sales receipts ought to suffice to pass the exam.

August 28, 2006 10:54 AM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Caroline Divines?

August 31, 2006 12:55 AM  

Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

As awful as GOEs were, I think I'd prefer them to canonicals with an oral section--ewww...

Love that premillenial dispensatoinalsism idea....been there and done that one!

August 31, 2006 3:27 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...wow. Yeah, I'm hoping they never call me for that...and if they do, they'll wish that they didn't... :)

heather

September 02, 2006 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home