/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ups and downs

Up: over the course of last week, we were able to spend time with almost everyone on both sides of our family: first my father and his sweet wife, brother, sister and families; and then Bruce's mom and the clan (he's the oldest of eight children, and with spouses and kids, no other description will suffice). Time well-spent, with happy visits and waaaay too much good food.

Down: As much as I love them all, that's a lot of socializing for this introvert. After several hours in a 3-bedroom ranch with 30 family members, all I want to do is hide.

Up: Mostly, they're okay with that.

****************

Up: I was back in the church office this week, after more than a week away. I've grown to love my office (a converted classroom, made homey with rugs and pictures and such), and to value the time to pray and work there. Tuesday was a quiet day, spent alone except for a short visit by the exterminator making his regular mantenence stop. Wednesday was busier-- putting together the bulletin with Carol, a conversation with one of our regular study ladies, then Eucharist, then over to drop off some rent assistance to a disabled neighbor.

Down: On the way home I hit a pothole, and took out the tires on the passenger side of the car. Yes, you read correctly-- that was tires, plural. Both of them.

Up: With some assistance from a pleasant county sheriff, I was towed to a nearby auto repair shop, had my tires replaced, and headed home-- two hours later, but all in one piece.

I will note here that the owner of the shop seemed rather nonplussed to have a woman in a clerical blouse sitting in his office. He was very kind, but rather confused. "Okay, I have to ask about that collar. Are you. . . ?"

"Yes, I'm a priest."

Silence, as he glanced above my head-- where hung a life-sized portrait of Pope John Paul II.

"I'm not Roman Catholic; I'm an Episcopal priest."

After a moment he nodded-- told me about his work in his own parish (seems he's a very active layman at Queen of All Saints)-- and gave me a clergy discount on the tow.

****************

Up: After my mom died, Dad took to getting us gift cards for birthdays and Christmas. He's made a practice of getting my sister and me cards at the same place, so we can do our shopping together; we consider the time part of his gift to us. Today was our day out.

Down: The weather was atrocious-- windy and wet, and miserable. And I have a cold, so my day was punctuated with sniffles and sneezes.

Up: Decongestants work wonders, and the bad weather on a weekday meant that the crowds at the outlet mall were at a minimum; so shopping was easy. In addition, we found some real deals. I came home with a haul that ranged widely: decent work-type clothes, a couple of cute little dresses, some kitchen tchatchkes, fancy underwear and fuzzy, comfy socks. You gotta love clearance racks. The 11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Pay Retail.

****************

More ups than downs. This is a good thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice of him to give the clergy discount to the heretic!

And I am glad that you are okay.

January 06, 2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home