/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, May 09, 2005

Monday observations

  • There are few things more beautiful than a sleeping baby. This does not cease to be true when the babies are 10 and 17.
  • I loathe the job of deep-cleaning the bathroom (read, removing hard water rust stains and scrubbing grout). There is no way I've ever discovered to do it properly without ending up all wet and coated in cleanser. But the feeling of showering afterward in pristine conditions is almost worth it.
  • Some phone calls inherently trigger joy. Calls from old friends or new jobs fall into this category. Calls from the school nurse or the mammography department at the clinic do not.
  • Bookstores are great distractions, especially in good company. So is walking in a warm rain.
  • Dandelions are pretty. Of course, they're especially nice clutched into a clumpy, chubby-fisted bouquet; one gift that I'm pleased to note has not been outgrown at our house. Growing in the lawn, their sunshine yellow presence makes me smile. Even the gone-to-seed puffball heads have a certain charm. But the naked stems that follow the spring breeze just make the yard look messy.
  • No matter how well or poorly the day goes, coming home at the end of it and snuggling into sweats or flannels is a fine thing.
  • Chocolate chip cookies are enhanced by baking them with a buddy.
So, how was your day?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this works, I don't think blogger likes me.

I found your site on another blogroll--it was the Hoosier that got to me--I'm born and raised!

My observations:

1. There's nothing like coming home from a long day at church and putting on shorts after what feels like 8 months of winter!

2. Sometimes you just have to turn on the AC in early May. you just do.

3. Fresh strawberries make the best dessert.

4. Indiana strawberries would have been better, the little extra sweet ones that are only in season for about 5 minutes.

5. Alas, I left Indiana about 25 years ago. No strawberries for me!

May 10, 2005 9:50 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Welcome, revmom! Where in Indiana were you raised? Or in local parlance, "Where you from?"

As to the strawberries: they're starting to show up in the grocery stores here, but the local ones won't be ready for another month or so. Though they're saying they may be early this year. . .

And you're right-- there's not much better. I can't wait!

May 11, 2005 5:59 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from a little place they like to call Kentuckiana. In other words, South of Indy. My DH is from Indy. Even though we grew up 50 miles from each other, we are from two very different cultures.

BTW, did you go to Purdue? (There's a link in your site) I'm class of '85, what used to be called HSSE.

May 11, 2005 9:43 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

I grew up in NW Indiana (aka "the Region"). My husband is from your neck of the woods-- he hails from just outside Corydon. Very different cultures, indeed!

And yes, I'm a Purdue grad, of the same vintage: class of '83, Metallurgical Engineering.

May 12, 2005 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home