/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Movies

I've seen two in the last several days-- an unusual thing, even on a rental basis. Last Thursday the kids and I made the pilgrimage up to Evanston, to play with some friends and watch Pirates of the Caribbean. We've seen it before, but it was worth watching again; great fun.

Then on Saturday, Bruce & I rented Calendar Girls. If you haven't seen the trailers, it's about a collection of very proper British matrons who, in an effort to raise funds for the local hospital (in memory of one woman's recently deceased husband), pose for a pinup calendar in the altogether. Only their very proper hobbies (strategically placed baked goods, flower arrangements, etc.) stand between them and... impropriety. Good story-- true, even-- and well told. Not a perfect Hollywood body among them, either; simply average women, aged 45-60+, which made it (to my mind) all the more effective.

Here's the question for the day: What do you think of the idea? Is that something you'd do? And why or why not?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Pose nekkid?
With strategically place liuturgical objects around me?

Not bloody well likely. No buff posing for me. I am too much the prude.

July 14, 2004 10:39 AM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I loved Pirates. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush were fabulous. There's another Pirates installment coming, and I hope it's just as much fun, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you liked Calendar Girls, you'll also like Saving Grace. It's done by the same director, and runs in the same vein.

No, I wouldn't do that. I work in the software business. What am I gonna use, a CD? (Don't go there. I mean it.)

July 14, 2004 4:48 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 14, 2004 9:49 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Sorry about that. The first comment didn't show up, so I thought I hadn't posted it.

Senior moment, I guess.

July 14, 2004 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home