/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Catchin' up


Lots happening around here in the last few days...

Friday was my last day at the hospital. Man, what a conflicted day: I was ready for a break, but I really didn't want to leave. Just as well they took away my badge; otherwise I might have found myself striding purposefully through the lobby, on the way to rounds in the Burn Unit this morning. I am going to miss that place.

Saturday, we went downstate Illinois, to my cousin Kristy's wedding. It was... well, put it this way: it was the first shotgun wedding I've ever attended. Really. The father of the bride walked down the aisle with his only daughter on one arm, and an old muzzle loader on the other. I love my family, and they never cease to amaze me.

Here's a question for my clergy (and clergy-to-be) friends: if you're presiding, just how much "individuality" and "personal self-expression" do you allow, before you draw the line? What makes it unique and special, and what's too extreme to be part of the sacramental moment? Weddings are notorious for this, but it also can happen at other types of services as well.

Sunday we came home, and had more family over. My sister Janice and her boys, and Tripp, Trish and Susie came over to share my birthday cake. Yes, I'm "another year older, and deeper in debt." They all brought lots of general goofiness to share, laughter and silly stories, which is my idea of a great evening; the only drawback was that, eventually, everyone had to go home.

And this evening, I'm headed up to Seabury for another party, only this one's more bittersweet. My buddy Alex is shifting his seminary education to General, so we're saying goodbye to his cheerful blond countenance. Of course, I'm questioning your taste in theological education, leaving the sacred confines of The Block; but I do wish you all the best, bro. Keep that blog updated, okay?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home