/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, June 20, 2008

RevGal Friday Five: Summer in the City

From Singing Owl...

Think summer... are you there? Below you will find five words or phrases. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem, a memory, a recipe, or a story. You get the idea:


1. Rooftop - When our eldest was very young we lived in Illinois, in a small 2-story house. We discovered that we were within visual range of several Fourth of July fireworks displays-- provided we crawled out the master bedroom window and perched on the garage roof to watch them. My husband was not fond of this practice-- heights make him distinctly uncomfortable-- but Daughter and I loved it. She still talks about that as a fond memory. I do, too. (^_^)

2. Gritty - My spiffy new exfoliant hand scrub, part of the Satin Hands collection of goodies I received as a gift from The Lovely Wife. I adore this stuff.

3. Hot Town - The feeling of August in downtown Chicago, amid the baking concrete jungle, compounded with Great Lakes humidity... there are things I miss about "back home, " but that ain't anywhere among 'em.

4. Night - Fireflies. I love their little glowing phosphorescent backsides. Seems as though I remember chasing hundreds of them in my childhood... that were never missed, because of the thousands that swarmed each night.

5. Dance - One summer we were visiting my in-laws in southern Indiana, and a friend of my husband's invited us to go along with him to a barn dance. It really was-- way out on somebody's farm, with a local caller, square dancing and clogging under the stars. This wasn't the sort of "formal" square dancing that some folks do, with costumes and petticoats in abundance. It was just a bunch of neighbors getting together for something to do on a Friday night-- and though I've attended a boatload of more sophisticated events over the years, it was one of the best times I've ever had.

2 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Knickers said...

I enjoyed your memories!

June 20, 2008 5:47 PM  

Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Number five is making me smile just to picture it!

June 23, 2008 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home