/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, February 26, 2010

RevGal Friday Five: Winter Olympics

Songbird offers a timely Olympic set of questions:

1) Which of the Winter Olympic sports is your favorite to watch?
I have a hard time picking one favorite; I enjoy most of them for one reason or another. Perhaps it's because I'm so seriously unathletically talented, but I admire all the things they do. Even the ice dancers that catch so much disdain: that is serious skill that I will never have.

2) Some of the uniforms have attracted attention this year, such as the US Snowboarders' pseudo-flannel shirts... and the Norwegian Curling team's -- ahem -- pants. Who do you think had the best-looking uniforms?
The ice skaters were far and away the fanciest, of course; but I also liked the hockey uniforms-- especially the way the goalies' helmets were customized. Really fun!

3) And Curling. Really? What's up with that?
I loved the curling! LOVED. IT. The precision in the competition was fascinating. It does not require the high level of physical training that the other sports do, but the strategy, coordination and teamwork required is huge, and I think really exhibits the best of the Olympic ideal.

4) Define Nordic Combined. Don't look it up. Take a guess if you must. (There will be a prize for the best answer, but be aware, this is a judged sport.)
Cross-country skiing and... something else I can't remember. I've seen the skiiers but not the other half, so it's not coming to mind.

5) If you could be a Winter Olympics Champion just by wishing for it, which sport would you choose for winning your Gold Medal?
Well, I'd love to try the sport I'm purportedly going to win; to have the sense of what it feels like to really be *that* good. So if my wish included the skill, perhaps ski jumping. The feeling of almost flying, coasting in the air for a hundred meters or more looks as though it would be awesome.
On the other hand... curling still looks like great fun, and it would be nice to have playmates. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger altar ego said...

I like the idea of playmates. Curling has been an interesting event to watch.

February 26, 2010 1:34 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I love the ski jumping, too!

February 26, 2010 5:55 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two of us in our household were really grabbed by the curling. In addition to the reasons given, there was real drama and suspense. John

February 27, 2010 3:46 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

I thought I'd like the ski jumping, too . . . that is, until I saw an actual ski jump when I was in Calgary. It's much less scary on tv.

However, I've always had a secret desire to be a race car driver, so I'm thinking ... BOBSLED!! Now that would be cool.

February 27, 2010 4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home