/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, August 31, 2009

First World Decadence

We bought our last refrigerator when we moved into our last house, something like 15 years ago. It has generally held up well over that time, but it's begun to falter. Since we've been here, we've had the repair dude over twice, and replaced the gaskets on both fridge and freezer doors. We've nursed along the icemaker, jiggling the lever when it got balky. We've learned NOT to put items in the back on the bottom shelf that can't take being overchilled. In other words, we've become increasingly aware that The End Is Near.

With this in mind, we've been shopping-- hoping to find a replacement before some major component stopped working and left us wholly unrefrigerated. But appliances are pricey, and family-sized refrigerators are at the top of the "Ain't Cheap" list. So we've been biding our time.

However, we refinanced the mortgage last week at a significantly better rate, which means lower mortgage payments (and no payment at all next month!). And a local Appliance Mecca was having a serious sale. And the sales manager was willing to dicker a bit, even beyond that.

This happy combination of circumstances meant that this was delivered to our house this morning:


Ours looks just like this, except that a boatload of magnets and family pictures quickly went back up all over the front. The features that make me happiest are a) very low energy usage; b) the ice/water dispenser in the door (a feature we've never had before. It means we'll open the door less, so it's more energy efficient); and c) the bottom freezer opens like a drawer-- very easy access.

All this feels like the height of luxury to me-- and even though part of me feels a bit profligate, I am still unreasonably delighted with it.

This is way cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Looks great! Glad you could get it. Ours is an awful lot like it except I am weird--I just don't care for the water and ice in the door feature, so ours is sleek and smooth on the front!

I justified the lower freezer this way: we can stand to get lettuce, but have to bend over to get ice cream. Surely that will help us lose weight! Fee free to use that if you want. ;)

August 31, 2009 7:29 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

I love the reasoning! But I'm not sure it applies here. Our last fridge also had a bottom freezer-- but with a standard door, which meant squatting down and rooting around for the ice cream. Simply bending over is actually easier.

Of course, at the moment I find I'm getting a bit of exercise as I repeatedly wander over to get ice or water, open the door/drawers, etc., just because I can...

Why yes, I am the grownup here. Why do you ask?

August 31, 2009 8:23 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never willingly have a top freezer again. It is so nice to be able to see the stuff in the fridge and clean it standing up. I don't have ice in the door but mostly because I didn't want to give up the space.

Senior Blonde

September 01, 2009 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home