/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, October 01, 2003

And so it begins


Classes have started again-- finally. My kids have been in school for more than a month now, and I'm ready for it to be my turn. I have four classes this term:

Church, Ministry and Culture - This deals with the function of parish communities, and the leadership thereof. Our nickname for this course is "the Plunge," because it includes a 2 1/2 week immersion in a parish somewhere: interviewing leadership (lay and clergy), participating in all parish activities, etc. We're supposed to find out today which teams we're on, and where our plunge sites are.

Preparing to Preach - My first preaching class. I''m really excited about it; I've only been in the pulpit a few times, but it's a part of the ministry I find that I love. There's an electricity about standing up to proclaim the Word that is incomparable.

Systematic Theology - I've been a little nervous about this one. It's one of the courses that stands well outside my previous experience (not a lot of theology or philosophy discussed in engineering!), and taught, this term, by an adjunct professor we've not met before. We had the first class Monday, and I think it's going to be ok. The prof seems like a decent sort, enthusiastic about his subject, and the work load looks to be substantial, but not overwhelmingly so.

Praying with Scripture - This is a small (1/3 credit) spirituality class that meets weekly. Ought to be helpful; anything that sticks my nose back in my Bible is a good thing.

I've been really caught up in various ancillary activities around here-- ordos, scheduling, work study, etc.-- and I mostly enjoy that stuff; but I'm glad to get back to the learning that's the main reason I'm here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home