/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

15 books

This was a list I was tagged to make over in the alternate reality that is FBook; I thought I'd share here, too.

Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.
In no particular order...

1. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
(This book was the first time I discovered "classic literature" could also be a really good read.)

2. Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare
(I loved Shakespeare's use of the language, even when I was little; this was the first of the plays I ever studied though. Wow.)

3. The Shattered Chain, Marion Zimmer Bradley
(The first of her Darkover books I read; later I devoured them all.)

4. The Naked Sun, Isaac Asimov
(My initial foray into the world of science fiction, courtesy of my father.)

5. The Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy), J. R. R. Tolkien
(I read these annually; they are such "spring" sorts of books.)

6. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
(My grandmother handed me a copy of this when I was very small.)

7. Faith Seeking Understanding, Daniel L. Migliore
(Assigned reading in one of my early theology classes; after some of the "denser" works, it was a breath of fresh air.)

8. Opening the Prayer Book, Jeffery Lee
(I taught adult ed at church years ago, and read this in preparation for the class. My first exposure to the history of the BCP.)

9. De Doctrina Christiana, St. Augustine
(AKMA introduced this in Early Church History class; marvelous!)

10. Theories of Culture, Kathryn Tanner
(I still have no idea what this book is supposed to say, other than intimidating newbie seminarians. Okay-- so no one said they all had to "stick with me" in a good way.)

11. The Bible, God only knows
(I mean the whole thing, even the boring/inscrutable/ugly bits. It all still kind of amazes me when I think about it.)

12. The Book of Common Prayer, Thomas Cranmer, et. al.
(I am so steeped in this it's sometimes hard to tell where the book leaves off and my own prayers begin.)

13. Amazing Grace: a Vocabulary of Faith, Kathleen Norris
(A sanity saver once, when I was away from home and still struggling with my mother's death.)

14. Great Lion of God, Taylor Caldwell
(A fictional biography of the apostle Paul.)

15. Gown of Glory, Agnes Sligh Turnbull
(A simple small town love story, but also my introduction to classic poetry.)

What are your 15?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Nuevacantora said...

I still pull the Migliore off the shelf - it may be "reformed" instead of anglican, but what an accessible book! I wonder where that prof ended up...

July 23, 2009 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home