/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, December 22, 2006

What's happening here?

While I've been silent on the blogs, things have been busy here in corporeal reality. In the last two weeks I have:
  • Helped to develop a plan for distribution of Derby Fire relief donations. It seems that $20,000 will buy one semi truckload of replacement fence posts, to replace about 18 miles of perimeter fencing. We had applications for more than 100 miles. So no one got all they needed, but everyone who applied got some help.
  • Held four - yes, that's right, FOUR - vestry meetings. End of year budgets, and annual meeting planning for four churches. And then. . .
  • Put together, explained and distributed a schedule to ensure that sort of insanity doesn't happen again. That's one bit of nonsense which has to stop, for the benefit of all concerned.
  • Organized and publicized Christmas Eve and Christmas Day worship schedules, and planning and preparing liturgies for same. The schedule does not make everyone happy; but then, nothing ever does.
  • Practicing. It's been a while since I've sung the Eucharistic Prayer, but for special feast days, like Christmas, I like to make the effort. (for the Episcopal liturgy geeks among you: Prayer D, Mozarabic Tone).
  • Creating Bulletins. Four sets: 4 Advent, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the Sunday after Christmas. Done, and distributed to their respective churches. I was given an early Christmas present in this regard, when one of my churches agreed to pay for their printing and folding.
  • Sermons. Sunday morning (4 Advent) and Sunday evening (Christmas Eve).
  • Household activities. Yes, the priest has a life outside the confines of church buildings, or tries to. Shopping, decorating, etc. Mailing various happy packages hither and yon. I even made it out with my husband for our annual "Shop For the Kids and Then Reward Ourselves by Dining Out at a Nice Place Without Them." evening.

Today, being my day off, will be devoted to cookie preparation. One part of Christmas preparations I love-- using butter and sugar with abandon, and not worrying about calories or fat grams, because I will give most of it away.

Christmas cards. Okay, this one isn't done yet. I figure this is why the season of Christmas has 12 days. Failing that... friends, watch for Epiphany Cards, from our family to yours.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. I would think that someone who doesn't sing the liturgy very often wouldn't take on the longest prayer with the most difficult tone. But you're a brave woman, that's clear. Enjoy it.

I'll be singing Christmas Eve, too, but I'll be using Prayer B (since it has the best description of the Incarnation, and a specifically tailored Preface), solemn tone (since I find it easier than "simple" tone, for some reason).

December 22, 2006 10:17 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

I don't sing.

December 22, 2006 4:50 PM  

Blogger Sophia said...

This junior who recently struggled through a church music oral final is very very impressed.

Mozarabic tone? Did you really? Wow.

December 31, 2006 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home