/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Clerical fashion sense-- is that an oxymoron?

Cheesehead is taking a poll...

  • What do you wear on a typical (non-Sunday) day of work? Clerical blouse and collar, with either slacks or skirt (depending on the weather, and the schedule for the day, and my mood).
  • Open toed shoes: gifts from God or an abomination? (Pedicures assumed, of course. We are not animals, after all.) I am all about comfortable shoes, regardless of the amount of toe revelation. In the summer, open toes are lovely. In cold weather, they are chilly. In snow, they are just plain stupid (this is not to say that I have not chosen to be stupid on occasion). What I don't do are backless shoes-- they are not comfortable on my feet, and the flapping noise they make can be an irritant, especially in worship. Give me at least a slingback strap, please!
  • The right to bare arms: do we have it? Oh, you bet. I don't wear tanks, but short-sleeved and a few sleeveless tops are summer staples-- inlcuding in my clerical attire.
  • It's 90 degrees with 90% humidity in the Snow Belt in late May. Quick--robe or no robe? Sunday worship-- alb and stole, at a minimum (over the lightest clothes I own; see above). I may well dispense with the chasuble if it's steamy indoors; no amount of beauty in vesture will compensate for the disruption caused by the priest passing out from the heat.
  • Would you ever wear jeans or casual pants to church on a non-Sunday? Yes, certainly. Jeans are unusual, but not unheard of, and casual slacks are common. I'm thankful to say that my congregation here is the casual sort, and I am moving to a part of the world where that is even more the norm.
  • Has your congregation ever expressed wardrobe expectations beyond "Geez, just don't show up naked."? Expectations? No, not really. Though I have been told that some of them look forward to the days I have my "preachin' boots" on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

"Preachin' boots!" I love it!

May 28, 2006 2:29 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

lol .... we don't have 90 degree heat with 90 percent humidity, BUT ... we did get snow this weekend.

And ... I preached in boots today.

May 28, 2006 3:05 PM  

Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Hmmm... I could lend you my big black boots for that if you'd like :)

May 31, 2006 8:35 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved this

June 13, 2006 5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home