/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

USAFA Commencement 2008


The weather forecasters predicted sunny and 75°F. I packed accordingly. A nice spring dress and little white sandals (it being after Memorial Day, you know).

Even the night before, they maintained their story. Sunny and in the 70's.

Please look at the picture to your right. Doesn't look sunny, does it? That's because it wasn't. It was foggy, and cold (40°), and drizzling, with a brisk wind.

I wore a bulky fleece jacket over that cute little spring dress; not a stunning ensemble, to say the least, but I didn't care. But it didn't do diddly squat for my feet.

We stood in line for almost an hour in order to get into the stadium-- that being how long it took the Secret Service to do their thing with the 20,000 or so guests. Then the festivities, and the speechifying.... and there was not enough hot chocolate in the stadium to warm me up.

The ceremony (what we could see of it) was fine; and for all that I find some of the President's policies... questionable, I had to give him props for standing out there in that weather, and taking the time to personally greet each and every one of the nearly 800 graduates as they came across the stage.

But I was never so glad to get back to the car, and jam my frozen toes up against the heater.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you can say you've done something new, been to an Academy graduation! And heard a US President speak in person.

June 02, 2008 8:41 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

I've heard a president speak in person once before-- years ago, when we lived in Ohio.

On a much warmer day, I might add. (^_^)

June 02, 2008 8:57 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you get to see the USAF Air Demonstration Team? Or was it too cloudy?

June 03, 2008 5:36 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

The Thunderbirds did fly, a bit behind schedule-- the weather cleared shortly after noon-- but we missed them. Even the boys were freezing and miserable (in spite of their being in real shoes!), so we left early.

June 04, 2008 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home