/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday roundup

I got back yesterday from my first Annual Big Sky Clergy Conference. This is a 3-day event, held each year at our diocesan campground up on Flathead Lake-- an absolutely gorgeous place, which makes the seven hours it takes to get there from here almost worth the effort. Even with the cold, damp weather squelching the spare-time hiking about I wanted to do, it was still lovely.

This was in part due to the company, of course. We (spouses are included in the invitation, so my husband came, too) rode up with with Rev. Ref and his Lovely Wife from their house, which made half the trip seem much shorter each way; and then I had some very pleasant conversations with several of my new co-conspirators colleagues in ministry. I'm still getting to know most of them, of course, and distances out here don't make that easy; but they are generally an amicable lot.

This year's speaker was theologian Bonnie Thurston, and she was marvelous. I quickly became a fan as I listened to her address biblical preaching, and preparation for same, with clarity, insight and humor. Then she clinched the deal later by expressing wholehearted and enthusiastic admiration for my favorite NT professor.

All in all, a great trip.

Today is normally my day off; but after three days away and with the bishop's visitation scheduled for my churches this weekend, I was busy both prepping and catching up:
  • Chatted with a substitute musician scheduled for one of my churches in a couple of weeks, so she'll have plenty of time (she plays well, but she's new, and nervous) to practice the hymns we'll use;
  • Arranged to have printed a boatload of fliers advertising a change in service times at another church;
  • Programmed the digital hymnals at the two churches where the bishop will celebrate on Sunday (I hope they still work then-- I've never done it this far in advance);
  • Fielded a number of Concerned Phone Calls, about one thing and another;
  • Visited a shut-in parishioner, who eventually forgave me for missing our usual Wednesday chat; and
  • Finished (as far as I can for now) updating the parish records, for the bishop's inspection.
And now... time to watch a silly movie with the aforementioned husband. And maybe a bath, later. Goodness knows I should sleep tonight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Yes, the digital hymnal will work just fine. And, theoretically, you can also program two weeks worth of hymns into it; since, you know, you've been the diligent priesty girl and have all your hymnody picked through August.

April 20, 2007 9:32 PM  

Blogger AKMA said...

OK, I know and like Bonnie, but I'm too self-absorbed not to ask the context in which she expressed her appreciation. Surely it wasn't an integral part of whatever she was expounding, but only in response to your saying you went to Seabury (or something such as that)?

April 21, 2007 8:58 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Ref: not through August, only through April-- I need to sit down and do the next couple of months this week.

AKMA: Bonnie's comment was not part of her presentation, but rather in the context of discussion afterward. Specifically: I mentioned something about my seminary professor's interpretative concerns. She asked who that was, so I told her-- and her face lit up. "Oh, he's wonderful! The Real McCoy!" The Ref and I agreed.

April 21, 2007 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home