/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Moving on. . . carefully.

I have noticed something about the local attitude toward life here: it is much more relaxed than the world I came from in the Great Lakes region. People take turns easily. Shoppers wander through store aisles calmly, and apologize readily if they happen to bump into one another (heck, almost before they bump into one another). Drivers occasionally pass on two-lane highways with more reckless abandon than I am accustomed to, but they do not (with very rare exceptions) get frantic with one another, or with conditions that impede their progress.

Most of the time, this is a wonderful thing. When it comes to snow removal, however, I find that I could wish for a little more of a sense of urgency. The weather conditions are no more severe than they were back in Indiana, really; but driving in it is more of an adventure. "We'll get to it eventually" is not always the preferred approach, folks. And a little salt would not be amiss, at least on the main streets and school bus routes.

3 Comments:

Blogger St. Casserole said...

Jane Ellen, down here we don't know snow. I suppose if we did have snow the same "tomorrow" attitude would prevail.

The idea of drving on ice or snow roads scares me. Do you use chains and snow tires or what? I'm out of my league here.

January 13, 2007 9:13 AM  

Blogger The Lovely Wife said...

Welcome to the west. They dont salt the roads in Montana, they gravel them, so watch your windows when you pass those bigs trucks.

January 13, 2007 3:54 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

St. C: I have good tires, and a 4WD vehicle, which helps. I would use chains if I were more in the mountains, or on some of the more rugged back roads. As it is, I just slow down, and allow for more time to get places than I usually do.

LW: I assume this means you've arrived-- Yay! Yes, I know about the gravel, and I'm watching the trucks carefully. I've already repaired one small chip in my windshield, even so.

January 13, 2007 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home